These are the perfect chocolate rolls ever. They are soft, fluffy, and gooey all at the same time. These rolls puff up nice and tall but are completely soft all the way through. They melt in your mouth when they are still warm from the oven. This recipe is all you’ll ever need. The ingredients for these are basic pantry staples and require no special equipment; though, if you have a stand mixer, you are at an advantage. If not, a 10 to 15-minute kneading of the dough on the countertop will do the trick. Not only are they perfect for a special occasion, but these rolls can be enjoyed as a quick breakfast treat at any time of year. They are big, fluffy, soft, and absolutely delicious with the filling super chocolatey which your whole family will enjoy. And his recipe makes plenty so you never have to worry about not having enough.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Rolls:
For the dough:
- Yeast– The yeast helps the chocolate rolls to rise. The dough is proofed twice to make the perfect chocolate rolls. 1 tablespoon of active dried yeast is used in this recipe.
- Sugar- ½ cup of sugar is used to sweeten the chocolate rolls and to help activate the yeast.
- Milk- It can be any milk you would like. The milk needs to be warm to help the yeast work well. If it is too hot, it will kill the yeast, and if it is too cold, it will slow the yeast. One cup of warm milk is used in this recipe.
- Butter- The butter needs to be at room temperature to make the dough. 4 tablespoons of butter is used in the preparation of the dough.
- Salt- 1 teaspoon of salt is used in the dough to balance the flavors.
- All-purpose flour – 5 and a half cups of flour is used in this recipe. You may add a couple of teaspoons of flour if the dough is very tacky.
For the filling:
- Chocolate spread: 1 cup of any chocolate spread works fine.
How To Make Chocolate Rolls from Scratch:
- Let the yeast prove – First, the active dried yeast needs to prove. 1 tablespoon of yeast is mixed in warm water along with 2 tablespoons of sugar to activate the yeast. Set it aside for 5 minutes, and the yeast mixture must’ve risen. If it has not, it’s probably because the yeast is not working. Yeast needs a warm environment to prove, so make sure the water is only warm to the touch, but not scalding hot.
- Prepare the Dough – Next, the dough for the chocolate rolls needs to be prepared. All of your ingredients need to be at room temperature. You’ll add the ingredients, milk, proven yeast mixture, salt, sugar, butter, and flour into a large bowl and mix until combined, then move on to kneading. if you have a stand mixer, you are at an advantage. If not, a 10-minute kneading of the dough on the countertop will do the trick. Knead the dough well until it is springy to the touch. The dough when pressed with a finger should spring back rather than dent the dough. Once you’ve finished kneading, you should be able to stretch the dough into a thin film without tearing.
- First proving of the dough – After your chocolate roll dough is properly kneaded, it is formed into a ball and transferred to an oiled bowl to undergo its first proving. This is when the flavor of the dough is developed. The bowl is covered loosely with a kitchen towel and kept in a warm spot in the kitchen. It takes 1 and ½ to 2 hours for the dough to prove or double in size.
- Form the Rolls – After the first rise, it’s time to turn that dough into chocolate rolls! The dough is punched down, is rolled out into a large rectangle. It is coated with a chocolate spread. It is rolled into a log length-wise, cut into 12 equal-sized rolls, and arranged in a greased baking dish.
- Second Proving – Once the rolls are assembled, they’ll need to double in size one more time. To do this, it is covered loosely with a kitchen towel, and placed in a warm spot. After about two hours the rolls must’ve doubled in size and are ready to bake.
- Bake the Chocolate Rolls – The rolls are baked in a preheated oven at 180 C for 20 to 25 minutes. Your house will be smelling heavenly and the rolls must be ready in 25 minutes.
Love Chocolate Roll? You Would Love these Recipes Too:
Chocolate RollCourse: Breads, Snacks
These are the perfect chocolate rolls ever. They are soft, fluffy, and gooey all at the same time. These rolls puff up nice and tall but are completely soft all the way through. They melt in your mouth when they are still warm from the oven.
- In a bowl, pour in warm water, yeast, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir and leave to prove. The water should be just warm and not hot as it may kill the yeast.
- Once the yeast mixture is proofed, add warm milk(not hot), ½ cup sugar, and I teaspoon salt. Mix till the sugar is dissolved. The milk must be just warm, not hot.
- Add 5 & ½ cups of flour 1 cup at a time. Mix in with a wooden spoon until it is not able to mix anymore. Knead the dough in a stand mixer for 10 to 15 minutes with the dough hook attached. In between add 4 tablespoons of butter at room temperature and knead. The dough may appear tacky, but do not add more flour. Knead it well and the dough will come together. Alternatively, if you don’t have a stand mixer, you could invert the contents onto a clean work surface and knead with your hands. Knead well till the dough is springy to the touch. The dough when pressed with a finger should spring back rather than dent the dough. Once you’ve finished kneading, you should be able to stretch the dough into a thin film without tearing.
- Once done kneading, place the dough into a large lightly greased bowl and cover with a kitchen cloth to double in size in a warm spot in the kitchen for about 2 hours.
- Once the dough is proofed, dump it onto a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a large rectangle 12”x24” in size.
- Spread 1 cup of chocolate spread into a thin and even layer on the dough.
- Roll the dough tightly lengthwise so you have one long roll. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 12 one-inch slices.
- Place the rolls into a greased 9×13 dish with a little space in between to prove. Place in a warm spot and cover with a kitchen towel to prove for two hours. They will double in size and take up the entire dish
- Preheat the oven to 180C and bake the rolls at 180C for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are light golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!